I once heard someone say, “life begins after 40.” At the time I was in my early twenties. Life in the forties was nowhere on my radar. Little did I know that it would come so quickly. Surprisingly, I found her words to be true. I literally began to live fully aware and meaningful life when I turned 40. Awareness led me to acceptance and to action. I began to reassess my life and what was important, and I made some serious changes.
The forties is not the beginning of a fade into the background – forget about me – it’s too late – lifestyle. Not at all. They can be some of the best years of your life. But you have to make it so. Make your life count. Make it worthy. Make it fun. Make it happy. Make it memorable. Make it magical. Stop over analyzing and just do.
Here are some of the things you can do to keep the fab in your forties:
- Live your life, fully.
- Don’t worry about what others think or say about you and what you do.
- Leave your job if you want and can afford to.
- Say NO when you mean NO.
- Do more of what makes you happy.
- Take damn good care of you.
- Increase your spirituality.
- Play some board games.
- Shake it off.
- Take risks.
- Have Faith.
- Pray every day.
- Get rid of foolishness in your life.
- Be grateful for your journey.
- Be kind and generous to others.
- Give back. Giving is gorgeous.
- Go live someplace you’ve always wanted to.
- Get your finances in order.
- Harness your health.
- Unleash your sexy.
- Drive cross country.
- Eat to live.
- Move your body.
- Know your body.
- Care for your body, inside and outside.
- Let the haters hate.
- Do something every day that is good for your body.
- Fall in love, again.
- Learn to love your own company.
- Release the energy vampires in your life.
- Get your annual mammograms.
- Do your breast self-examinations every month.
- Go to the doctor with your man.
- Get your annual physicals.
- Have a date night each month.
- Travel. See the world. Tour your country.
- Unplug every day.
- Clean out your closet. Give away stuff.
- Buy more of what you need instead of what you want.
- Eat organic foods as much as possible.
Cheers to fabulous life after 40!!
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, health and wellbeing consultant and Qigong instructor. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of Inside Outer Beauty Market, a multi-cultutal retailer curating and creating products to support the body inside and out. Visit the site at www.iobeautymarket.com