Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice, which involves putting oil in your mouth and swishing around for 15 to 20 minutes. The purpose is to remove toxins from the mouth, which will ultimately improve oral health. However, aside from improved oral health, it’s said to have many other benefits.
Most people who’ve done it prefer coconut oil. which makes sense. Coconut oil loved for it’s antibacterial and antifungal properties. Here are some of the benefits of oil pulling.
- Oil pulling is said to improve bad breath. So people with halitosis will benefit from this practice.
- It prevents cavities and gingivitis
- It whitens teeth
- Eradicate headaches
- Cure hangovers
- It improves sinusitis
- It also helps with acne, eczema, and psoriasis
- Improve sleep
- Put 1 to 2 tbs spoon of coconut or vegetable in your mouth.
- Gently swish around in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do not swallow. You do not want to ingest the toxins that will be pulled out of your mouth.
- After the 20 minutes, spit out (do not spit into your sink the coconut oil can solidify and clog your drain).
- Rinse mouth with warm water or salt
water waterfor extra cleansing.
- Oil pull 3 to 5 times per week to maintain tip top oral health.
- Some dermatologists have warned against dermatitis. So do a skin patch test prior to putting in your mouth.
- Some oil pullers have also said they have experience headaches during and shortly after the process. Experts have claimed this may be attributed to the detox process and if you’re new to oil pulling.
So what do you think? Have you tried oil pulling or would you consider trying it? Share with us in the comments below.
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, health and wellbeing consultant and Qigong instructor. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of Inside Outer Beauty Market, a multi-cultutal retailer curating and creating products to support the body inside and out. Visit the site at www.iobeautymarket.com