Aside from good, consistent, wholesome nutrition, the process of cleansing, toning, masking, peeling and moisturizing are also key factors to maintaining beautiful and healthy looking skin. In addition, diligence and consistency, along with the right products for your skin type can mean the end of or a decrease in skin issues.
Here are 10 commandments that are certain to empower your skin care routine. Of course, no one’s biologically perfect, so it’s totally ok if you break out every once in a while.
- Wash with a gentle cleanser, and use a Clarisonic or other sonic type brush. I’ve been using a Clarisonic brush for five years. The sonic brushes are great for deep, yet gentle cleansing.
- Drink lots of water; at least 8 ozs per day to rehydrate you skins’ cells.
- Use a gentle toner to get rid of residual bacteria and restore the skin’s ph balance.
- Use a vitamin C serum at night. It contains antioxidants that fight free radicals and maintain collagen production for firmer skin.
- Apply topical acne treatment if your dermatologist has prescribed one.
- Apply a night cream to moisturize, restore and repair your skin while you rest.
- Use an oil control mask every other night to control oil build-up and congestion. Those with normal skin can do this once per week.
- Use an exfoliating peel 2 to 3 times per week. This is big, and necessary and beneficial, especially if you have scarring and hyperpigmentation. The peels will exfoliate and also remove excess oil and congestion. Over time you will see a significant improvement in discoloration and an even skin tone.
- It may be too much to do this every night, so flip your pillow case every other night and change it on the fifth night to avoid bacterial build up and cross contamination. Pillow cases are major skin saboteurs (stay tuned for the Skin saboteurs post). What’s on them will go right back to your face.
- MUY IMPORTANTE! Use an SPF moisturizer of 30 or more to prevent premature wrinkling, uneven skin tone, and protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays, which can cause melanoma (skin cancer).
What are your skin care commandments? Do share them with us?