Mature Skin type
Like all the other skin types, this often forgotten category has its own unique set of characteristics, which of course, varies from person to person.
As we age (sometime after 25 or so), our skin begins to lose collagen (the protein that’s responsible for the plump and pillowy skin) and elastin, which is responsible for the skin’s ability to stretch. As a result, the skin begins to gain fine lines, wrinkles and begins to sag.
In addition, as we age, the cell’s ability to rejuvenate declines and cell turnover slows down significantly. The skin’s oil production also decreases, leaving the skin dry and dull, and just like every other skin type, mature skin needs tender loving care too.
Typically mature skin can be dry and dull with fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging. For some, signs of mature skin usually begin to set in during perimenopause and at menopause when estrogen levels and sebum production decrease significantly.
Do keep in mind hower, that lifestyle choices like overexposure to the sun, not caring for your skin, excessive drinking and smoking can cause premature aging of the skin. It may happen sooner or it may happen later but as it stands now, once we’re alive, at some point we will all experience characteristics of mature skin.
Skin Care Tips
- Wear SPF daily to protect your skin cells against the rapid aging effects of UV rays.
- Cleanse your face with a gentle, soap-free, cleanser.
- Use a mild moisturizing soap for the body.
- Use a gentle, appropriate exfoliant on the face and body once to twice per week.
- Moisturize daily and consistently with rich, emollient crèmes to restore what’s been lost.
- Use a humidifier to moisten the air in your space.
On The Menu
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those that are loaded with antioxidants.
- Drink lots of water.
- Oily fish, nuts, whole grains, lean protein
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, health and wellbeing consultant and Qigong instructor. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of Inside Outer Beauty Market, a multi-cultutal retailer curating and creating products to support the body inside and out. Visit the site at www.iobeautymarket.com