Our lips are among the most fragile parts of our body. They’re involved in the way we speak, the way we eat, and the expression of certain emotions. Smile!
Our beautiful lips take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. So it’s only fair that we give them a whole lot of love, and I can’t think of a better way than with some sweet, sweet sugar. Yes, lips love sugar.
I think we can all agree that cracked, chapped, peeling and flaking lips are a bit unsightly, not scratch that, very unsightly. However, with some tender love and gentle care, your lips can be sweet and smooth as silk. Needless to say, It’s especially important to maintain a regular lip care regimen.
Consider these do’s and don’t when caring for your lovely lips.
- Lick your lips. I know, this is a big one for a lot of us. However, licking helps to draw moisture from your lips leaving it even more dehydrated and even drier.
- Bite, nibble nor pick at your lips. Aside from causing irritation to the already fragile area, the open skin can be prone to infection.
- Use spicy foods or acidic substances if your lips are chapped. They will cause further irritation.
- Drink lots of water. Hydrating and replacing lost moisture is important, especially in the winter when it’s not apparent that water loss is taking place.
- Exfoliate your lips two to three times per week with an exfoliating agent like sugar (see recipe at the end). This will remove dead and flaky skin.
- Moisturize with a light, lip balm, that contains SPF 8 or more. Because of its thin and fragile nature, lips are more prone to sunburn and further thinning.
SIMPLE LIPS SCRUB RECIPE
- 1/2 Tsp of organic brown sugar
- 1/4 Tsp of olive oil
- 1/4 Tsp honey
- 1/4 Tsp coconut oil (optional)
Preparation and Use
- Combine sugar, honey, and oils in a small bowl
- Using your fingers, apply a small amount to your lips. Be sure to rub gently.
- Cleanse with lukewarm water. Tap dry with a clean towel.
- Apply your regular lip balm or use a dab of olive oil on your lip.
***this can be done 3 to 4 times per week.
How do you love on your lovely lips?
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, certified health coach and entrepreneur. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of I. O. Beauty Market, where she curates products that are free of harmful toxicants. Using 6 pillars, she helps women live beautiful lives inside and out. www.iobeautymarket.com