Our beautiful lips are among the most fragile skin on our body, and they take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. I think we can all agree that cracked, chapped, peeling and flaking lips feels unhealthy and can be bothersome. Needless to say, It’s especially important to maintain a regular lip care regimen that promotes healing and health.
Consider these dos and don’t when caring for your lovely lips.
- Lick your lips. I know, this is a big one for a lot of us. However, licking helps to draw moisture from your lips leaving it even more dehydrated and even drier.
- Bite, nibble nor pick at your lips. Aside from causing irritation to the already fragile area, the open skin can be prone to infection.
- Use spicy foods or acidic substances if your lips are chapped. They will cause further irritation.
- Drink lots of water. Hydrating and replacing lost moisture is important, especially in the winter when it’s not apparent that water loss is taking place.
- Exfoliate your lips two to three times per week with an exfoliating agent like sugar (see recipe at the end). This will remove dead and flaky skin.
- Moisturize with a light, lip balm, that contains SPF 8 or more. Because of its thin and fragile nature, lips are more prone to sunburn and further thinning.
SIMPLE LIPS SCRUB RECIPE
- 1/2 Tsp of organic brown sugar
- 1/4 Tsp of olive oil
- 1/4 Tsp honey
- 1/4 Tsp coconut oil (optional)
Preparation and Use
- Combine sugar, honey, and oils in a small bowl
- Using your fingers, apply a small amount to your lips. Be sure to rub gently.
- Cleanse with lukewarm water. Tap dry with a clean towel.
- Apply your regular lip balm or use a dab of olive oil on your lip.
***this can be done 3 to 4 times per week.
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, health and wellbeing consultant and Qigong instructor. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of Inside Outer Beauty Market, a multi-cultutal retailer curating and creating products to support the body inside and out. Visit the site at www.iobeautymarket.com