The process of cleansing, toning, masking, peeling and moisturizing is key to maintaining beautiful and healthy looking skin, period. In addition, diligence and consistency, along with the right products for your skin type can mean the end of your skin care struggles. Easier said than done, right? But, it’s not that difficult. And, what’s more, if you really want your skin to look and feel its best, you’ll care and treat it accordingly.
Easier said than done, right? Yes, But, it’s not that difficult. And, what’s more, if you really want your skin to look and feel its best, you’ll care and treat it accordingly.
Though they may vary slightly based on skin type, here are 10 skin care commandments that are certain to empower your routine. Of course, we’re not perfect, so it’s ok to break them every once in a while.
- Wash with a gentle cleanser, using a Clarisonic brush or other sonic brush – I’ve been using this brush for four years. The sonic brushes are great for deep, gentle cleansing.
- Drink lots of water. At least 8ozs per day to rehydrate you skins’ cells.
- Use a gentle toner to get rid of residual bacteria and restore the skin’s ph balance.
- Use a vitamin C serum at night. It contains antioxidants that fight free radicals and maintain collagen production for firmer skin.
- Apply topical acne treatment if your dermatologist has prescribed one.
- Apply a night cream to moisturize and restore and repair your skin while you rest.
- Use an oil control mask every other night to control oil buildup and congestion. Those with normal skin can do this once or twice per week.
- Use an exfoliating peel 1 to 2 times per week. This is big, and necessary, especially if you have scarring and hyperpigmentation. The peels will exfoliate and also remove excess oil and congestion. Over time you will see a significant improvement in discoloration and skin tone. There are lots of natural ones on the market.
- It may be too much to do this every night, but flip your pillow case every other night and change it on the third night to avoid bacterial build up and cross contamination. Pillow cases are major skin saboteurs. What’s on them will go right back to your face.
- MUY IMPORTANTE! Use an SPF moisturizer of at least 30 to prevent premature wrinkling and for protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays, which can cause skin cancer.
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a wife, mama, science educator, author, certified health coach and entrepreneur. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Redbook, Natural Health, Instyle, Working Woman, Huffington Post, Essence Online, Tampa Tribune and more. She is currently the Chief Self-care Connoisseur and founder of I. O. Beauty Market, where she curates products that are free of toxic, harmful ingredients.