“Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body” Golda Poretsky
Self care is not indulgence, It is a necessity. And, it is not as simple as getting manicures, pedicures and massages. It goes a lot deeper than the surface; it’s a state of mind, and a lifestyle that requires constant attention and nurturing. It’s a sense of wellbeing and peaceful harmony that you are able to obtain, even during the most stressful times.
That said, it is imperative to learn and practice mechanisms to alleviate the harmful effects of stress, which is very toxic to our emotional and physical health. Below are 110 self care tips to promote inside-outside beauty and greater balance in your life.
The old adage, “one man’s food is another man’s poison,” certainly applies here. So, choose what works best for your individual anatomy and psychology, and practice them on a regular basis, until it becomes a part of your lifestyle.
I would definitely recommend breathing techniques to everyone. It has been a God send in my quest to neutralize the harmful effects that stress was inflicting on my mind and body. Love and take care of your selves.
1. Maintain and nurture your faith and spirituality.
2. Make you-time a top priority.
3. Recognize, appreciate and nurture your God given beauty.
4 . Instead of bemoaning the loss of your comfort, accept the challenge of something new. ~ Sarah Young.
5. Refrain from comparing yourself to others.
6. Complement your colleagues, friends and family when they accomplished something.
7. You are not your circumstance. If you are unable to change the situation, allow yourself to accept what is and move on.
8. Cultivate an atmosphere of trust and positivity at all times.
9. In all things, give God the honor and the glory.
10. Your breathing is your greatest friend. Return to it in all your troubles and you will find comfort and guidance. ~Teachings of a buddhist monk.
11. Get up and dance.
12. Speak into your life words that are affirmative.
13. Find a type of exercise your love and do it a several times per week.
14. Try practicing yoga.
15. Learn to trust your intuition.
16. Lend a helping hand to others.
17. Do something that you’ve been longing to do.
18. Speak up.
19. Know your skin type so you can care for it effectively.
20. Ask for and accept help.
21. Smile more. The whole world may smile with you.
22. Listen to music that makes you happy.
23. Look at comedy movies.
24. Take a stroll in the park.
25. Get regular massages.
26. Take a dance class.
27. Practice meditation.
28. Practice inhaling and exhaling.
29. Take a vacation by your self, or with friends or family.
30. Pack up the car and take a road trip.
31. Watch the sun rise.
32. Watch the sun set.
33. Do something that you’ve always been afraid to do.
34. Make a bucket list.
35. Try some new recipes.
36. Cuddle with your kids.
37. Cuddle with your cat or dog. Let ‘em lick you. Let ‘em sleep in your bed too.
38. Cuddle with your lover.
39. Have lots of sex.
40. Live in the moment. The past is gone. The future is not yet here. The only thing that ’s guaranteed is the present. ~ Eckhart Tolle
41. Give hugs to the ones you love and care about.
42. Rent a cabin in the woods (sounds spooky). Leave your computer at home.
43. Write a letter to someone you’ve wanted to thank and send it via snail mail.
44. Do some gardening.
45. Grow some organic veggies in your backyard or in a plant pot in your apartment.
46. Keep a gratitude journal.
47. Keep a food journal.
48. Practice being still and listening.
49. Drive in your car with no music. Enjoy your own company.
50. Don’t take your thoughts too seriously ~ (Eckhart Tolle)
51.Give, learn, teach ~ (Maya Angelou).
52. Practice forgiving others. It’s very liberating.
53. Love others like God loves you.
54. Create a vision board for your goals and dreams.
55. Take 10 minute naps.
56. Get 6 to 8 hours of sleep nightly.
57. Go on a weekend retreat.
58. Pamper your self with frequent facials.
59. Go to places where every body knows your name.
60. Go to places where nobody knows your name.
61. Be grateful for all things; good and bad. There’s always a lesson to be learned in every situation.
62. Speak kind words.
63. Change your bed linen once per week.
64. Get lost in your favorite magazine.
65. Curl up in a chair and read a good book.
66. Practice saying I love you to those that matter more often.
67. Always say please and thank you.
68. Practice skin brushing or rubbing at least once a day.
69. Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
70. Eat organic foods as much as possible.
71. Invest in some quality clothing and accessories.
72. Fix your finances.
73. Spend some quality time in the heart of your home, the kitchen, and cook more of your foods..
74. Enjoy life – there are no re-runs ~ Shirley Lowery
75. Be confident in whatever you do.
76. Take baths and add a few drops of lavender oil to help you relax and relieve stress.
77. Sleep in late every once in a while.
78. Hang out with your friends.
79. From time to time, unplug from social media and technology.
80. Take a stroll on the beach.
81. Surround yourself with all things and people that are positive.
82. Appreciate beauty in all its forms.
83. Practice aromatherapy to stimulate and relax.
84. Take your supplements.
85. Ride your bicycle more.
86. Exfoliate your skin with a sugar or salt scrub several times per week.
87. Have a romantic dinner by yourself.
88. Learn to forgive yourself.
89. Set aside some time in your am and pm routine for self care.
90. Go on lunch and brunch dates with your lover, offspring, parents or sibling.
91. Pursue your dreams.
92. Know when to say yes, and when to say no.
93. Be authentic and truthful to who you are.
94. Practice patience.
95. Graciously accept complements when they are given to you.
96. Be proud of your accomplishments and share them with others. They may inspire.
97. If you can, give selflessly to others. Giving is gorgeous, and what goes around comes around.
98. Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body.” ~Golda Poretsky
99. Allow yourself to enjoy each happy moment in your life. ~ Steve Maraboli
100. Find a network of support in your family and friends.
101. Love yourself too.
102. Speak words that are affirmative.
103. Find a type of exercise your love and do it a several times per week.
104. Be inspired.
105. Learn to trust your intuition.
106. Take regular showers. Water is wonderful.
107. Face your fears.
108. Speak up.
109. Know your skin type so you can care for it effectively.
110. Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. ~ Steve Jobs
Dixie Lincoln- Nichols is a biological science educator, health and wellbeing consultant and Qigong instructor. Her work has been featured in media outlets like, Oprah Mag, SELF, Yahoo and more. She is the founder of Inside Outer Beauty Market, a multi-cultutal retailer curating and creating products to support the body inside and out. Visit the site at www.iobeautymarket.com